Before starting your brew day, fill the HLT with the amount of sparge water needed for your batch of beer plus 2 gallons to account for lauter tun deadspace and added heating capacity
- Set your HLT controller to 5 degrees over your strike temp and turn on the HLT element(s), while keeping the mash pump off.
- Continue prepping for brew day (fill Mash tun with water, yeast etc.)
- Once your HLT reaches temp, turn on the mash pump to heat your mash water to your strike temp.
- Once strike temp is reached, turn off the pumps and add grain to strike water and stir thoroughly. Throttle back the valve after the pump to about half way to prevent grain bed compaction and turn the pump back on
- Dial back you HLT temp to 2-3 degrees over your Mash temp
- Rest at your mash temp for the time prescribed in your recipe.
- Once complete, turn the pumps off and set up for sparge