Before starting your brew day, fill the HLT with the amount of sparge water needed for your batch of beer plus 2 gallons to account for lauter tun deadspace and added heating capacity
- Fill your HLT about 80% full (covering the HERMS coil) and fill your MT to the appropriate volume (be sure to take into account false bottom dead space and HERMS coil volume).
- Set your HLT controller to 2-3 degrees over your desired strike temp and turn on the HLT element(s) and pumps.
- Continue prepping for brew day.
- Once strike temp is reached, turn off the pumps and add grain to MT and stir thoroughly. Throttle back the valve after the pump to about 1/4 flow to prevent grain bed compaction and turn the pump back on
- Dial back you HLT temp to 2-3 degrees over your Mash temp
- Hold at your mash temp for the time prescribed in your recipe (you should be fully converted within 30mins due to the constant recirculating mash).
- Once complete, turn the pumps off and set up for sparge