Before starting your brew day, fill the HLT with the amount of sparge water needed for your batch of beer plus 2 gallons to account for lauter tun deadspace and added heating capacity
- Set your HLT controller to 5 degrees over your strike temp and turn on the HLT element(s), while keeping the mash pump off.
- Continue prepping for brew day (fill Mash tun with water, yeast etc.)
- Once your HLT reaches temp, turn on the mash pump to heat your mash water to your strike temp.
- Once strike temp is reached, turn off the pumps and add grain to strike water and stir thoroughly. Throttle back the valve after the pump to about 1/4 flow to prevent grain bed compaction and turn the pump back on
- Dial back you HLT temp to 2-3 degrees over your Mash temp
- Hold at your mash temp for the time prescribed in your recipe (you should be fully converted within 30mins due to the constant recirculating mash).
- Once complete, turn the pumps off and set up for sparge