Here are some best practices to follow when boiling with our Spike Solo, Trio or Nano systems!
- Wait until your heating elements are completely covered before flipping elements on.
- On the boil kettle only, make sure your PID is set to manual mode. This will allow us to control heating output by percentage instead of actual temperature. This works similar to dialing your gas burner up or down, but on a numeric scale of 0-100.
- To move your PID to manual mode, start on the temperature readout screen, and press the Set button 3 times until you arrive on the "AMRS" screen. Click the "Up" button, to change from "auto" to "man" and press Set button again. Next, click Set button twice to bring you to manual temp screen, and set your temperature.
- To start boil, set percentage to 100% (full output). Once you have a rolling boil, drop percentage down to 75% and watch for a boil over. Depending on the strength of your beer (dissolved sugars in the wort) the output can be set as law as 50 or as high as 80 to maintain a good rolling boil without boil over.
- To move your PID back to auto mode, start on the temperature readout screen, and press the Set button 3 times until you arrive on the "AMRS" screen. Click the "Up" button, to change from "man" to "auto" and press Set button again.